Need to clear your land with fire, or want to build a fire pit in your back yard? Make sure you do it right – and with permission. All outdoor burning within the City of Kimberley is regulated under the City of Kimberley Open Burning Bylaw No. 2627 and must be approved by the Kimberley Fire Department. The new open burning bylaw imposes a one-time fee of $50 for a new permit (or $25 for a permit issued prior to December 31, 2018), that will be paid by homeowners and will remain valid until a change in property ownership or occupant, unless revoked for misuse. Please click HERE to access the recreational fire permit application form. The previous requirement to have the permits renewed each year is now rescinded.

The following burning requirements are regulated under Bylaw 2627:

Section 5 - Special Event or Ceremonial Burn Permit
Section 6 – Land Clearing Debris Burn Permit
Section 7 – Forest Fuel Management Burn Permit
Section 8 – Recreational Fire Pit Permit

It is unlawful to:

  • Burn without a permit
  • Burn construction materials
  • Burn yard debris
  • Burn in an outside barrel, outside incinerator or an outdoor boiler


All approved burning within the City of Kimberley must be supervised at all times and have sufficient equipment on site to extinguish or control the fire.