Garbage Schedules and Information
The City of Kimberley began automated garbage collection on June 12th, 2018. The City purchased a new automated garbage collection truck to replace the manual trucks that had been in service since 2005. Each residence has been provided with a standard 120-litre garbage collection cart and garbage is collected on a weekly basis. Only these City-issued carts will be emptied by the new automated garbage truck on collection days.
The collection carts belong to the City, are inventoried, and each one assigned to one address. The carts are marked, so the City will be able to track the carts and determine where it belongs if one goes missing. It will be the resident’s responsibility to keep the cart clean and in good condition. Each cart has a unique serial number on the side. It is recommended that you write that number down, so you can then easily identify your cart.
Pick-up begins at 7:00 am, and garbage must not be set out before 5:00 am on garbage collection day – unattended garbage attracts bears and other wildlife.
FRONT STREET PICKUP: The collection routes have been reviewed and revised as necessary to maximize the efficiency of the automated collection system. Most residential garbage collection will shift to street-front pickup (rather than alleys/lanes). There are some residential locations where street-front is not feasible and exceptions will be made and communicated to those residences by City Staff.
ANSWERS TO FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS: click HERE
NEW ROUTE INFORMATION: Garbage collection in Kimberley is handled via routes that are regularly scheduled Tuesday through Friday each week. Find out when garbage will be collected in your neighbourhood.
MAP: To view the garbage schedule map click HERE
HOLIDAY PICK-UP SCHEDULE:
HOW TO USE THE NEW CARTS FOR PICK UP ON YOUR COLLECTION DAY;
- Place carts out for collection no earlier than 5:00am and no later than 7:00am on your collection day
- All regular household garbage may be placed inside the cart.
- Waste must be bagged and tied. This will prevent garbage from becoming airborne as well as help keep your cart clean. Anything that is placed inside the cart must be able to fall freely when dumped.
- Do not over-fill your cart.
- Lid must be closed completely.
- Ensure 1 metre clearance around the entire cart.
- In order to prevent odours and avoid attracting bears & other wildlife, residents will still need to securely store their garbage collection carts until their neighbourhood collection day. Please ensure that you:
- Wash your cart out regularly with a mild non-toxic detergent.
- Place your garbage into garbage bags inside your cart
- Keep the lid closed at all times.
- The maximum weight load for a cart is 59kgs (130lbs). Please keep in mind that excessive weight in your garbage cart could result in damage to the cart.
RECYCLING INFORMATION: No recyclable materials will be collected. All yard and garden waste, paper, cardboard, glass containers, etc. are to be taken to the Kimberley Transfer Station at 800 Jim Ogilvie Way. There are also yellow bins set out in key locations around the City for recycling paper, cardboard, tin & aluminum cans and plastic milk jugs.
The Recycling Program and the Transfer Station are managed by the Regional District of the East Kootenay (RDEK). Please click on the following links for more information on recycling and on what is accepted at the Transfer Station:
RECYCLE BC DEPOT
On March 4, 2019, the Regional District of East Kootenay opened its new Recycle BC Depot at the Kimberley Tranfser Station. The Depot provides local residents with the ability to recycle a wide range of items that are not accepted in the yellow bin program. To view the items that are accepted at the new Depot, please click HERE.
To read the current Solid Waste Rates & Regulations Bylaw No 2520, 2015, click HERE
Route I – Tuesday (approx. 860 pick up’s) (Commercial pickup to be phased out by Dec. 2018)
- All of Blarchmont (upper & lower)
- Norton/Swan Area
- Upper Chapman Camp
- Rotary Drive
- Kimbrook Crescent
Route II – Wednesday (approx. 850 pick up’s)
- Sunflower Drive
- Lower Chapman Camp
Route III – Thursday (approx. 880 pick up’s)
- Morrison Sub
- Wallinger Ave to Burdett Street
- Mark Street to Rotary Drive
- Church Avenue and Downtown
Route IV – Friday (approx. 370 pick up’s) (Commercial pickup to be phased out by Dec. 2018)
- Ski Hill
- Forest Crowne
For more information, please contact the Operations Department at 250.427.9660 or Operations@kimberley.ca.
2020 SPRING CLEAN UP SCHEDULE
SCHEDULE: Click HERE