City Adopts Short-Term Rental Bylaw


Kimberley, BC - At their last regular meeting, Kimberley City Council adopted the Short-term Rental (STR) Bylaw that will ensure safety and responsibility in the tourist rental market. The bylaw establishes clear policies to regulate short-term rentals throughout Kimberley that will enhance the visitor experience and improve our important tourist economy.

The main goals of the bylaw are: to ensure occupant safety, reduce impacts on housing availability, reduce noise and traffic issues, improve responsiveness to neighbour complaints, and to eliminate unsafe or unauthorized accommodation providers.  All short-term rentals will now be required to hold a STR licence and must have a local contact to respond to issues should they arise. The bylaw does not change where STRs may be permitted in Kimberley, short-term rentals can only be allowed in certain neighbourhoods where specified by zoning regulations.

“We have studied the impact that short-term rentals have on the community and we recognize that STRs are a vital component of our local economy,” said Troy Pollock, Manager of Planning and Sustainability. “With this bylaw, Council has approved fair and enforceable regulations to support management of short-term rental units in alignment with the stated policy goals. The bylaw was developed through extensive consultation with both residents and current STR operators and we feel we have come up with an excellent bylaw that will prove positive for Kimberley.”

The Short-Term Rental Bylaw is now in effect. Owners of rentals are encouraged to submit an application as soon as possible. Licences issued in November and December of this year will be effective to the end of 2022. Owners will be required to renew the licence yearly. The annual licence fee is $300 for each unit. Other fees are outlined in the guidebook. All properties may be subject to inspection by the fire department or inspection staff.

Copies of the bylaw, Short-term Rental Guidebook and all necessary application forms can be found at or by emailing